Thursday, July 17, 2014

My new foray into fitness!

Many of you know me and have been following this blog for a while. You may have noticed my absence this past year. I have been busy focusing on improving myself during this time. For those of you that are new to this blog, I am Sarah. As of a few weeks ago, I am now a Beachbody fitness coach. 
  
 
Let me tell you my story about how I got to where I am today. As a child I was always very active and athletic. I was always involved in multiple sports teams each year in school and maintained a good level of fitness. When I went to college, it was the first time in my life that I did not join a sports team and I really let fitness fall to the back burner for the next 3 years. In my senior year, I decided I needed to get into shape and started hitting the gym nearly every day and started watching my food intake. I quickly lost 10-15lbs and looked and felt great. I kept up with my exercising habits for about a year. Then, I started my PhD program. This was a long (nearly 7 year process!) that brought a lot of challenges. During this time the weighted piled on, 10lbs each time my doctor put me on steroids for my stress induced eczema, and another 10lbs from birth control. I could also never seem to get myself to go to the gyms regularly. After grad school, I joined another research lab for a Post doc and in the time there I gained another 10lbs! That is a lot for someone who is only 5’2” tall! 

So in 2011 I vowed to make a change and I bought my first Beachbody program, Insanity. I had seen some friends who had achieved major transformations from the program. I set out to do it from start to finish, but after 3 weeks my knee hurt so badly that I had to stop. Without a good support group to help motivate me, once my knee felt better I fell back into my old ways of maybe working out 1-2 times a week on an elliptical. Sometimes I would convince myself to workout 5 days in a week, but then I might go two weeks without working out. I could never seem to muster the motivation to stick with it. Most likely cause I was just eating too much food and, therefore, not seeing any results each time I gave working out a try again. 


In 2013, I heard about a new program from Shaun T, Focus T25, which is only 25 min a day and could be modified for lower impact. At my New Year's Eve party, my friend and I decided to get control of our lives and start T25 together. This time I did it correctly, I had a support group and a great coach from Beachbody. I followed the meal plan and kept within my daily calorie allotment. Having to check into our Facebook group everyday kept me accountable and I stuck with it! I am now a complete believer in group accountability. I completed Alpha, Beta, and then went on to do both Gamma workout calendars. I am currently on my second round of T25, but am super excited to start PiYo next. This has become a new way of life for me and I don’t ever want to go back. 


I have started a blog, facebook page, and twitter account to provide support, accountability, and information on how to be the best and healthiest you possible. I look forward to helping you on your journey to a healthy and happy life as your personal Beachbody coach! Please check out my content on these pages and let me know if you would like help reaching you fitness and nutrition goals.