Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Bad Apple

I made a batch of caramel apple soap that Dylan likes to call the "clown" soap due to the colors. After seeing the final product I am really not sure what I was thinking when I colored the batch. The scent is delicious, but the colors are just horrible. I used a green oxide, red clay, and turmeric for the colors. I think I added too much clay because there are obvious streaks of red from cutting the soap. If I remake this batch I need to get rid of one of the colors. These soaps may be sold on my site as seconds. I just can't imagine selling these ugly babies for full price. Those of you that sell your soap, do you have a seconds/dent & ding section? Do you find that they actually sell?

6 comments:

  1. As a soap buyer, I *love* the seconds/scraps that some soapmakers offer. :) This one looks like it'd smell delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should ask. My first batch of pumpkin pie soap came out looking like sliced meat. I added my dye before I cooked the soap and and it came out reddish mauve for some reason. I've thought about selling it in a section like you describe, but I don't know that anyone would want meat slices that smell like pumpkin pie. You never know, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add that I think this soap looks quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe...It IS clown soap! I have 'Ugly Soap Sales' here and there...a lot of times I cut them thin and sell them as samplers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same as Elizabeth (sell some as samplers and some whole). They sell like hotcakes, (because they're cheap, I guess), but I always wonder if people who buy them would have bought full price soaps if that was their only option. But it's a great way to clear out extras!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, with red and green, it's rather Christmassy. :)

    ReplyDelete