Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Faux Funnel Pour Goats Milk Soap

After making the yogurt soap, I was inspired to make a Goat's milk soap since I had not made one in quite a while. I have always made my Goat's milk soap using powdered milk before, but this time I decided to try my hand at using liquid milk. Adding milk to soap helps to make it very creamy and gentle on sensitive skin. All milk contains natural emollients, vitamins and triglycerides that help balance the skin’s natural pH and moisturize the skin. I scented this soap with a mix of Lavender essential oil and Patchouli essential oil and decided to try a new (to me) pouring technique. I was going for a faux funnel pour design.

The first step was to get my ingredients all ready to go. I like to weigh out my fragrance in this nice stainless steel milk frothing cup (see below) before I start mixing my oils and lye. This makes it much harder for me to forget to add the fragrance. The stainless steel cup works great because it does not hold onto the scent like plastic often will.

Fragrance oil and my soap recipe are all ready to go.

The next step is to lightly mix my oils and lye to a light trace.

Mixing the soap to a light trace

I then split the soap into two containers so that I could color one half of the soap pink.

One part of the soap batch was colored pink.

Once both of the containers of soap were at a medium trace I started pour them into the mold. To get the faux funnel swirl design, I poured a bit of the white soap into the center of the mold, and then pour some of the pink over it in the center of the mold. I repeated this process until all of the soap was in the mold.

Poured in layers of cream then pink.


My layers ended up being pretty thin, so I think that in the future it might be better to only do about 10 pours (5 for each color) so the layers end up thicker.

Cut pictures of this soap and the yogurt soap to come in the next day or two!